Cleaning baseboards can be one of the toughest tasks to do. You may have been used to getting on your knees to perform this chore. But as you get older, you’d realize how painful this can be especially when you have a bad back.
Baseboards are often overlooked. You likely won’t notice how dirty the baseboard is unless you drop something on the floor and consequently get a closer look at this board forming the foot of an interior wall.
Baseboards can get grimy if not cleaned regularly. That’s why you should always include it in your cleaning routine. Fortunately, you won’t have to bend all the time when cleaning baseboards. This article will teach you how.
How often should you clean the baseboards?
Some people employ the ‘out of sight, out of mind’ principle when cleaning the house or office. This means that they would not clean parts of the house which don’t draw the eye.
But here’s why you should clean baseboards as regularly as the floor: every time you open the door, the dust gets into your house. Dust particles often settle on the floor and you guessed it right, on the baseboard.
When you turn on the air-conditioning unit or fan, the dust from the floor will get blown around the house. It won’t settle on the walls but do so on the baseboard.
So how regularly should you be cleaning the baseboards? According to the Ultimate Housecleaning Calendar of Reader’s Digest, cleaning the baseboards should be done at least once a month.
That may sound tolerable to most healthy adults. But if you have a bad back, then you would want to know effective ways to clean the baseboard without bending over. We’re here to help you learn some tips and tricks.
How to clean baseboard without bending over?
There are several ways to clean a baseboard without you bending over– using a vacuum cleaner, a broom, a mop, and a microfiber cloth.
Vacuum cleaners present perhaps the most efficient and back-friendly way of cleaning baseboards. It is no secret how powerful vacuum cleaners are today in getting rid of the most stubborn dirt and dust.
But not all vacuum cleaners are ideal for cleaning baseboards. Handheld vacuum cleaners obviously won’t help you if you have a bad back.
Upright vacuum cleaners with long wand attachments are best for people like you who want to clean their baseboards without bending over. Cordless vacuum cleaners are also ideal because you can move around without having to be restricted by any cord.
Here’s how to use a vacuum cleaner in cleaning baseboards:
- Connect the attachment hose on the vacuum cleaner. This would let you reach the baseboard without bending over.
- Plug in the vacuum cleaner. Vacuum the baseboard two to three times. Make sure that all dust and dirt are sucked in.
- Alternatively, you may do this after vacuuming the floor.
Watch this YouTube video and you’ll see how this guy is able to clean the baseboard using an upright vacuum cleaner without bending over.
Would a robot vacuum cleaner work for this type of job? It depends on the model. Some units like the Roomba and iRobot have advanced sensors that make them capable of following walls and cleaning baseboards. Look at this iRobot cleaning the baseboard.
Cleaning Baseboards with Broom
If you don’t have a vacuum cleaner, then don’t worry as you can still clean the baseboard without bending over.
A soft-bristled broom with a long handle can do the trick. Here’s how :
- Sweep the baseboard one to two times.
- Collect the dirt in one corner with a dustpan.
- Dump the contents in a bin.
Cleaning with a mop
For some people, cleaning the baseboards will never be complete or thorough without using a mop. Here’s how to pull this one off:
- Pour lukewarm water in a large bucket. Add liquid soap.
- Mix well until you get a soapy solution.
- Take a mop with an extra-long handle. Alternatively, you may attach an old and clean cloth to a long toilet cleaning wand.
- Dip this into the soapy bucket and clean the baseboards.
- Let the baseboard dry naturally.
If you can afford it, you may also use the iRobot Braava robot mop. The robot mop has a pad-based system which determines the type of cleaning the user intends it to do. It is smart enough to avoid bumping into chair legs, carpets, and furniture and clean the baseboards.
Cleaning with a microfiber cloth
You can also clean baseboards using a microfiber cloth. This is highly effective in picking fine dust particles. It can also remove debris and dirt from the baseboards. Think that using a microfiber cloth would force you to bend over? Think again.
Here’s how to clean baseboards with a microfiber cloth:
- In a large bucket, pour water and add liquid soap. You may also add vinegar to the mix.
- Mix this well to create an effective cleaning solution for your baseboard.
- Attach the microfiber to a large yardstick or broom using rubber bands. A few clips may also do the trick.
- Dip the microfiber cloth to the cleaning solution.
- Use this in wiping down the baseboards.
- Remove excess water from the microfiber cloth.
- Wipe down the baseboard with another clean and dry cloth and let it dry.
Cleaning the baseboard is one task that can be exhausting due to its location. It can be hard for seniors as well as adults with back problems to keep the baseboard free from dirt, dust, and grime.
The good news is that you can always clean baseboards without bending over. The use of a vacuum cleaner can spare your back from aches and pain. The use of a robot mop can also be of significant help.
You can also use a broom and mop in cleaning baseboards as long as these have a long handle.