If you’re a homeowner there is a good chance you will have your share of repairs to deal with while you are living in your home. This is especially true if your home is quite a few years old and hasn’t had a lot of previous updates. Many home owners try to keep costs under control by learning to do as much of the work themselves as they can.
However, not every job is necessarily beginner-friendly. One of these jobs is roof replacement. Of course there are some homeowners who can handle this task themselves, and that’s great, but the majority will need to get in touch with roofing companies in order to figure out the best options in getting a new roof.
For many, one of the top concerns is roof replacement cost. It is important to have a roof that fits with the style of the house and will offer the durability needed to reduce needed repairs for many years.
Factors to Consider When Determining the Cost of a New Roof
As with any home improvement project, materials and labor are the main factors when it comes to roof replacement costs. In addition, your geographical location may also play a role. Getting a new roof will cost a good deal more for someone in California versus someone who lives in Missouri.
If you are qualified to replace your roof yourself, including having the right credentials and skill set, the cost runs between $2,500 and $6,300. If you get some help from a contractor, the price tag can be between $8,700 and $22,000 for an average-sized house.
Even if you have the skills, you may not want to take the time to replace your roof yourself. There’s a lot of work involved, and many prefer for someone to do the work who has regular experience. Some of the challenges include:
- Removing the old shingles– many say this is the toughest part.
- Beware of safety risks. Staying balanced on a roof or keeping track of whoever is working with you can be a challenge. Replacing a roof is not a good solo project. It’s important that at least two people are working together and keeping each other safe.
- There are extra steps involved with making sure the roof has proper insulation as well as a functional gutter system.
- Getting the Proper Permits to Work. A roofing contractor knows the drill when it comes to municipal requirements and can make this step look painless, even if it isn’t.
- Contractors from Roofing Companies work with insurance and a warranty, protecting everyone involved.
- A new roof is better protected by insurance. If there is a bad storm, it is possible your roof will need further repairs sooner than you think. If you’ve worked with a professional, you are better covered.
In addition to roof repair and replacement, it is also possible that other contracting needs could be discovered in the process of getting your roof replaced. There may be damage to attic spaces, walls, ceilings, and there may even be mold to remove.
If this is the case, you may need another specialized roofing contractor to handle these repairs. If so, make Angi (the new Angie’s List) your go-to solution for everything home improvement related. Learn more about roofing costs and repairs and view a local directory of contractors in your area.