Nowadays, many modern vacuum cleaners have done away with the traditional bag system in favor of a bagless canister that you just need to empty when full. This system is highly convenient, and you also don’t need to worry about buying new bags, saving you a bit of cash.
There are so many models to choose from, and the hardest part could be deciding which unit to opt for. If you’re having a hard time making up your mind, here are our picks for best bagless vacuum to help you find the right one for you.
Best Bagless Vacuum Comparison Chart 2019
Our Top Recommended
- Weight: 16.5 pounds
- Type: Upright
- Dust Capacity: 0.65 gal
- Features: Multiple suction channels for deep cleaning
- Weight: 15 pounds
- Type: Upright
- Dust Capacity: 0.5 gal
- Features: TurboBrush tool
- Weight: 8.29 pounds
- Type: Canister
- Dust Capacity: 0.68 gal
- Features: 2-In-1 integrated crevice tool
- Weight: 12.5 pounds
- Type: Upright
- Dust Capacity: 0.35 gal
- Features: Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology
Dyson Ball Animal 2
- Weight: 17.35 pounds
- Type: Upright
- Dust Capacity: 0.5 gal
- Features: Strongest suction
- Weight: 10 pounds
- Type: Stick
- Dust Capacity: 0.13 gal
- Features: Cordless,WindTunnel Technology
- Weight: 10 pounds
- Type: Upright
- Dust Capacity: 1.08 gal
- Features: Extra-large capacity
The Best Bagless Vacuum on the Market of 2019
1. Hoover UH70120 upright bagless vacuum - Our Top Recommended
This is an upright vacuum cleaner from well-known brand Hoover that features a 25ft cord and an 8ft hose to give you plenty of reach.
It includes five height adjustments, making it suitable for most floors, from hard surfaces to deeper carpets. We also like the no-scuff bumper that is designed to protect your furniture and walls as you push it around your home.
One of the innovations that makes this such a good vacuum is Hoover’s WindTunnel tech. This suction system helps lift and remove surface debris while also picking up more deeply encrusted dirt and grime, giving your carpets a more thorough clean.
Another great feature is the inclusion of a HEPA filter. This allows it to trap 99.7% of dirt, dust and pollen particles down to 0.3 microns in size, removing allergens from the atmosphere and giving you cleaner air to breathe.
This is also an extremely versatile vacuum. Although it is an upright model, it comes with a range of accessories for use with the hose. These include an extension wand for cleaning hard-to-reach spots, a crevice tool, an upholstery and dusting brush and a powered hand tool.
One flaw to this vacuum that buyers should be aware of is that the spinning brush can’t be shut off. This means if you leave it standing on a delicate surface while you use the hose, the brush can damage your floor.
Also, another slight issue is that the release button to empty the collected dirt is quite sensitive. It is possible to hit it by accident – and you need to be ready when you want to open it because it can open suddenly, spilling the contents.
However, despite these minor problems, this is still an excellent vacuum. It is efficient, versatile and sells for a very reasonable price. If these are qualities you value, then this vacuum could be an obvious choice.
- 5 height adjustments – makes it suitable for just about any surface
- No-scuff bumper – protects furniture and walls
- WindTunnel tech – picks up surface debris and deeply encrusted dirt
- Accessories included – crevice tool, upholstery/dusting brush and more
- Includes HEPA filter – to catch 99.7% of dirt, dust and pollen down to 0.3 microns
- Can’t turn off spinning brush – may damage carpets if you forget
- Dirt canister button very sensitive – may open unintentionally
>>>(Our Top Pick) Check Hoover UH70120 Price at Amazon<<<
2. Eureka NEN110A Bagless Canister Vacuum - Budget Pick
This bagless canister vacuum is super-lightweight, weighing in at under 8lbs, making it easy for just about anybody to manage. It is suitable for most surfaces and has three different surface settings for carpet, upholstery and hard floors.
We like the way the integrated airflow controls are found on the handle – this way, it is easy to switch between the different modes as you work.
As well as being bagless, it also incorporates fully washable filters instead of disposable ones. This means you won’t need to buy any extra items, saving yourself money in the long term as well as doing your bit to protect the environment.
Another positive that makes this a highly practical vacuum to work with is the fact that the crevice tool is also integrated into the handle. This means you won’t lose it and have to spend time hunting for it whenever you need to use it. The same is true for the dusting brush.
On the downside, at only 16ft, the cord is on the short side and may limit your mobility if you don’t have convenient access to power outlets. However, this problem is easy to rectify with an extension.
Another issue is that it seems to have less power when used on carpet compared to hard floors – although there is not a huge difference, and you will still be able to pick up any stubborn spots of dirt by passing over it an extra time or two.
There’s a lot to like about this vacuum. It has many useful design features that make it convenient and practical to use – and with such a reasonable price tag, you can hardly go wrong. A recommended budget option.
- Integrated airflow control on handle – for ease of operation
- 3 surface settings – carpet, upholstery and hard floor
- Lightweight and manageable – weighs less than 8lbs
- Bagless design and washable filter – no need to buy extra pieces
- 2-in-1 integrated crevice tool – also includes dusting brush
- Cord on the short side – 16ft might not be enough for some
- Less suction power on carpet – not as powerful as on hard floors
>>>(Budget Pick) Check Eureka NEN110A Price at Amazon<<<
3. Dyson Ball Animal 2 bagless vacuum - Upgrade Pick
Dyson is known as one of the market leaders when it comes to top-end, high-performance vacuums. The company has a reputation for high quality and innovation – and this vacuum is no different.
As with all Dysons, its biggest selling point is its suction power. It features a self-adjusting cleaner head that seals in the suction, whatever the surface, improving efficiency and ensuring it picks up as much dirt and debris as possible.
This vacuum incorporates a whole-machine HEPA filter that ensures all bacteria and allergens are trapped safely inside. This is especially important in homes with pets since it will prevent you from breathing in these particles and will reduce any allergic reactions.
We also like Dyson’s unique Ball technology. This gives this vacuum superior mobility and maneuverability, making it an ideal option if you have lots of furniture and other obstacles in your home that need to be navigated.
It comes with a range of attachments, including a tangle-free turbine tool, a stair tool and a combination tool to give you even more versatility over how you use it to clean. It is also covered by a five-year warranty for extra peace of mind.
However, even with a machine of this quality, there are a couple of downsides. The main one is that, due to its power, using it can be quite tough going on deeper carpets. In this case, you might find your vacuuming becomes quite a strenuous activity.
The other big drawback is the price since it doesn’t come cheap – however, you have to expect to pay more for a top-end machine, and it’s still worth the money it costs.
Overall, this is a high-quality vacuum that does everything you would expect and more. If you want a machine from the market leader and you’re willing to meet the price tag to get your hands on it, this vacuum is well worth considering.
- Strong suction power – one of Dyson’s biggest selling points
- Self-adjusting cleaner head – seals in suction according to the floor type
- Whole-machine HEPA filter – traps bacteria and allergens inside
- Dyson Ball tech – makes it mobile and easy to maneuver
- Designed for homes with pets – good at picking up animal hair
- Can be hard work with deeper carpets – suction too strong
- Expensive option – although to be expected for a high-quality unit
>>>(Upgrade Pick) Check Dyson Ball Animal 2 Price at Amazon<<<
4. Hoover BH50010 Bagless Vacuum
This bagless stick vacuum cleaner from Hoover would make a good backup spot vacuum in a large house. Alternatively, you could use it to take care of all vacuuming tasks if you live in a smaller apartment.
It features a fade-free lithium-ion battery that allows you to keep working with no loss of power. It boasts an extreme recline handle that lets you easily reach right under your furniture, and it also includes edge cleaning bristles for vacuuming along walls.
Furthermore, Hoover’s WindTunnel technology creates a channel of suction that works to effectively pick up all surface debris as well as dislodging and sucking up more encrusted dirt and grime, giving your carpets a thorough deep clean.
We like that this is an extremely lightweight model – at under 10lbs, it is light and practical enough for anybody to use. It also incorporates convenient fingertip controls and can transition easily between different surfaces.
For a machine at this price point, there’s not much to dislike. It does require some maintenance – you will need to clear out blockages of hair etc. from time to time. Also, the brush roller is not easily accessible, and you will need to remove some screws to reach it.
Overall, this is an inexpensive, convenient and reliable vacuum cleaner that you will be able to turn to for a range of light to moderate cleaning jobs. Another recommended product.
- Fade-free battery – keeps power until it runs out completely
- WindTunnel tech – helps suck up surface debris and dislodge encrusted dirt
- Lightweight and easy to manage – weighs less than 10lbs
- Extreme recline handle – ideal for reaching under furniture
- Suitable for almost any surface – transitions between floor types with ease
- Requires a little maintenance – need to pull out blockages from time to time
- Not easy to access brush roller – need to unscrew to clean thoroughly
5. Bissell 9595A Bagless Vacuum
This is an upright bagless vacuum from Bissell that boasts powerful suction and a “One Pass” cleaning ability that is designed to help you get the housework done quicker.
The powerful cyclonic suction – coupled with a brush that rotates deeply into the carpet – picks up more dirt and debris on the first pass. This means you won’t have to go over the same spot twice to get it clean.
We like the fact that it comes with plenty of accessories. There’s a turbo brush tool, a crevice tool, a dusting brush and an extension wand – all of which makes this a highly versatile vacuum that can be used for a whole range of cleaning applications on many different surfaces.
It has a washable foam filter – meaning you won’t have to buy replacements – and it is lightweight and maneuverable, making it practical and convenient for anyone to work with.
We also appreciate the easy-empty dirt tank. You can see how full it’s getting – and when it’s time to empty it, you just press the button and everything comes falling out. Just make sure you don’t hit the button by accident.
There are a couple of minor negatives too. Some people might find the hose a little short – a longer one would give you even more flexibility over your cleaning. Also, the “on” switch is low down and you need to bend over to press it – although this is a very minor gripe.
All in all, if you’re looking for a lightweight, powerful and effective bagless unit that will make short work of the vacuuming, this is another option that should be on your list of possibilities.
- Good brush cleaning system – penetrates deep into carpet for a thorough clean
- Cyclonic suction – gives long-lasting, powerful suction, even when filling up
- Comes with accessories – turbo brush tool, crevice tool, extension wand and more
- Washable foam filter – no need to buy replacements each time
- Easy to maneuver – lightweight and easy for anyone to use
- Hose is on the short side – some people might prefer a longer one
- “On” switch is too low – need to bend over to switch on and off
6. Eureka NEU182AF Bagless Vacuum
This is a budget-friendly yet powerful bagless upright vacuum cleaner from Eureka. It features a powerful motor that works together with the brush to remove heavy debris and stubborn dirt with little effort.
The whole unit weighs under 10lbs, making it an excellent choice if you don’t want to push around a heavy machine. Its 12.6” cleaning path also ensures you have to make fewer passes to clean your floor.
One positive feature is the extra-large dust cup. At 4.1l, you won’t need to empty it as often as with some other models – this is ideal if you need to clean larger areas. The washable filter also means you don’t need to worry about buying replacements.
It has five height settings – this vacuum is suitable for most surfaces. It also comes with a range of accessories, giving you plenty of flexibility over what and how you clean.
The main downside is the sound it makes – if you are sensitive to loud noise, the roar and the high-pitched whistle it produces might be difficult to bear. Also, the hose is a little short, and you might have trouble reaching all the places you need to clean.
However, if you can put up with the noise, this vacuum is a highly efficient machine that gives you great bang for your buck. If you want something that will get the job done and won’t cost a fortune, this model could be well worth checking out.
- Delivers respectable power – will help with heavy debris and stubborn dirt
- Wide 12.6” cleaning path – means you need to make fewer passes
- Lightweight and mobile – unit weighs less than 10lbs
- Extra-large capacity dust cup – holds up to 4.1l of waste
- 5 height adjustment settings – makes it suitable for most surfaces
- Very noisy – and produces a high-pitched whistle
- Awkward hose – not long enough and causes unit to tip over
7. Bissell 1831 Bagless Vacuum
This is another bagless upright vacuum cleaner from Bissell. It is similar to the one we looked at above, but this is a slightly more affordable version. However, it shares many of the same great features that make the other model such a useful tool.
This one also features the same “One Pass” technology that picks up more dirt, dust and grime on the first pass, meaning you will need to spend less time giving your carpets or other surfaces a thorough clean. A wide cleaning path of 13.5” also helps reduce time spent cleaning.
It includes multilevel filtration that works to suck up and trap dust and allergens, helping keep the air you breathe cleaner. It is also very effective at picking up animal hair, making this a solid option for households with pets.
We like the 25ft cord – this gives you plenty of reach and mobility, even if you don’t have so many available power outlets in your home. The 6ft hose gives you even more reach, as does the useful extension wand.
One drawback is that the quick-empty system is not perfect. When you open it up, sometimes not everything comes out, and you might need to put your hand inside to dislodge some of the waste.
Also, there is no way to stop the brush spinning. This means if you leave it standing on a delicate surface while you use the hose, it may damage your floor.
We are fans of Bissell products, and this is no exception. It represents great value for money and will get the job done with a minimum of fuss. For anyone who appreciates these qualities, this could be another obvious unit to go for.
- “One Pass” technology – designed to suck up everything on the first pass
- Multilevel filtration – traps dust and allergens inside
- Good reach – 25ft cord, 6ft hose and extension wand included
- Wide 13.5” cleaning path – make fewer passes to clean your floor
- Suitable for most surfaces – carpets, hard floors, bare floors, upholstery and more
- Quick-empty system not perfect – some dirt can remain inside
- Can’t stop brush spinning – can damage surfaces if not careful
8. Shark NV360 Bagless Vacuum
Shark is one of the best-known names in the world of high-performance vacuum cleaners, and this bagless upright model is another worthy addition to the company’s range.
It boasts an anti-allergen seal and HEPA filters to trap almost 100% of dust and allergens inside. This makes it a particularly good choice for anyone suffering from dust- or pet-related allergies.
It is also easy to work with. At 12.5lbs, it isn’t the lightest vacuum available – although it isn’t the heaviest either – but the swivel steering system makes it highly mobile. It also incorporates a generous 25ft cord, allowing you to reach just about anywhere.
It comes with a crevice tool and an upholstery tool, giving you the ability to use it to clean dirt from gaps and in furniture. We also like that it runs relatively quietly, more so than many other vacs, making it a good choice if you are sensitive to noise.
Finally, we find that this vacuum is great value for the price. As we mentioned, Shark is one of the leading manufacturers of superior vacuum cleaners, and with that in mind, this unit comes with a very reasonable price tag.
On the downside, this vacuum seems to be a little top-heavy. Some people might find that it tips over a bit too easily.
Also, although this unit performs well in most situations, it can struggle slightly on deeper carpets. Although it can still be used for thick carpets, it is better suited for thin carpets or hard surfaces.
To summarize, if you are looking for a superior, high-performance vacuum cleaner and you also appreciate getting great bang for your buck, this is a unit that should be on your radar.
- Anti-allergen seal and HEPA filters – traps almost 100% of dust and allergens inside
- Swivel steering – makes it easy to maneuver
- Includes tool attachments – to give added versatility
- Quiet operation – not as noisy as some other options
- Great value for money – reasonably priced for a vacuum from a well-known brand
- Doesn’t work well on thick carpet – better on thin carpet or hard floors
- Top-heavy – not well balanced and can topple over easily
9. Dyson v8 Absolute Bagless Vacuum
This is another vacuum from Dyson, this time one from the top of the company’s range. It is a cordless, bagless stick vacuum that is designed to power through all of your cleaning tasks with ease.
As with all Dyson vacuums, the suction power it delivers is one of its most impressive features. After cleaning with this unit, there won’t be much dirt, dust or grime left that has managed to resist.
It also features whole-machine HEPA filters. These are designed to filter out and trap allergenic microparticles – meaning that when you vacuum with this machine, you are actually improving the quality of the air.
It incorporates a direct-drive cleaner head with bristles that penetrate deep into carpets, giving them a thorough deep clean. We also like that it is so light and maneuverable – this vacuum will be comfortable for just about anybody to use.
One positive addition is the instant release trigger that ensures the battery is only engaged when you are working.
However, on the downside, the battery life is not quite as long as you might hope, especially on the maximum setting – at max, you can only expect less than about 10 minutes.
Also, we find that the grip is slightly uncomfortable, especially for those with bigger hands – however, this is only a minor complaint and shouldn’t put anybody off buying it.
All in all, this is another excellent unit from Dyson that boasts superior levels of performance. If you are looking for a powerful vac for jobs that don’t take too long, this is another model that is worthy of your consideration.
- Instant release trigger – helps save battery life
- Powerful suction – a hallmark of all Dyson vacuum cleaners
- Lightweight and easy to use – convenient for anybody to work with
- Whole-machine HEPA filters – gives you cleaner air to breathe
- Direct drive cleaner head – drives bristles into carpet for a deep clean
- Grip slightly uncomfortable – especially for people with big hands
- Battery life short on max setting – won’t last 10 minutes
10. shark nv501 Bagless Vacuum
This is an innovative 2-in-1 upright bagless vacuum cleaner that can convert to handheld mode for when you need to carry it with you or vacuum hard to reach places.
It features swivel steering, making it easy to maneuver and work with – and we particularly light the LED headlights that allow you to see what you’re doing, even when cleaning under furniture or in dark corners.
For those with pets or who otherwise suffer from allergies, it boasts an anti-allergen seal and HEPA filters that trap 99.9% of dust and allergens, improving the quality of your air as well as cleaning your surfaces.
It’s also easy to empty. You simply press the button to open the canister and all the waste drops out. The filters are washable, too, meaning you won’t need to buy replacements when they become clogged.
With this vac, the negatives a few. We might complain that it is a little top-heavy and can tip over a bit too easily when you’re using the hose attachment. It also isn’t the lightest unit on our list – although it isn’t excessively heavy either, and this shouldn’t be a deal-breaker.
In sum, this is a high-quality, versatile machine that performs well on almost any surface and that is also very reasonably priced. If you are looking for a top-end product from one of the best-known brands, this vacuum should be of interest.
- Lift Away technology – lift off the canister to transform into a portable vacuum
- Swivel steering – for extra maneuverability
- Anti-allergen seal and HEPA filter – traps 99.9% of dust and allergens
- LED headlight – allows you to see where you are cleaning
- Easy to empty – simply press the button and empty the canister
- Top-heavy – may tip over easily when using the hose attachments
- Not the lightest – some people might find it on the heavy side
11. Black+Decker BDASP103 Bagless Vacuum
This is a bagless upright vacuum from Black+Decker at the more affordable end of the price range. It has a large 2l dust cup that is easy to empty and also comes with a crevice tool and pet hair tool.
At only 8.8lbs, it’s lightweight and easy to carry. We also like the swivel steering that allows it to pivot up to an angle of 170°, making it highly maneuverable.
One of the things that impresses us most is the high suction power it generates. While it can’t match top-end brands like Dyson for power, for something in its class and at this price point, it’s still very impressive.
As well as being bagless, it also comes with washable filters. This means you won’t need to buy replacements when they get clogged, saving you money down the line.
On the downside, the hose is a little short – you might find you struggle to reach some of the more inaccessible spots that you need to clean. Also, it is fairly loud – if a low noise level is one of your most important requirements, you might be better off looking elsewhere.
This is a vacuum that will appeal to someone who wants a budget-friendly machine that performs well for the price. If that’s what you need, this model could be worth a look.
- Lightweight unit weighs only 8.8lbs – mobile and easy to carry
- Large capacity 2l dust cup – vacuum for longer before stopping to empty
- Easy to empty – simply press the button to release the waste
- Swivel steering – head swivels by up to 170°
- Good suction power for its class – easily picks up dust, debris and pet hair
- Hose on the short side – won’t let you reach everywhere
- Quite noisy for a small machine – also makes an unpleasant whistle
Many solid options to choose from
With the extra convenience and ease of use that going bagless offers, it’s hardly surprising that there are so many models to pick from, and deciding which one to go for can be tough.
If you have made up your mind to choose a bagless vacuum cleaner but you are having trouble choosing, any of our top picks would be a great place to start your search.